The Moto Moto Museum was officially opened to the Public in 1974.  The History of Moto Moto Museum dates back to the 1950s when a French Canadian Catholic Priest Jean Jacques Corbeil of the White Fathers began collecting cultural artifacts in the Northern part of Northern Rhodesia (Now Zambia). 

Father Corbeil came to Zambia as a missionary under the  White Fathers in 1943.  Other than  missionary work, Father Corbeil was interested in African Culture and Environment.  Over the years  he collected cultural and Natural Artifacts among the villages of Northern Zambia and later figurines along the Zambia Congo Boarder on the Copperbelt.

He was particularly interested in items of music, medicine, initiation and witchcraft.  He also made a reasonable collection of snakes.

The name "Moto Moto " was derived from Bishop Joseph Dupont who smoked a pipe and called for "Moto" - fire in swahilili which earned him the name Moto Moto.   Bishop Adolf Furstenderg Bishop of Mbala Diocese donated the present day main gallery which houses the Ethnography gallery which was previously a carpenter workshop.

Last modified on Saturday, 14 February 2015
  • 0 comment
  • Read 1298 times

Leave a comment

About us

The National Museums Board of Zambia is a statutory body created through an Act of Parliament, Chapter 174, of the Laws of Zambia with the principal role of collecting, documenting, preserving and presenting Zambia’s movable heritage for public benefit, education and enjoyment. It is mandated to establish, develop and sustainably manage museums in Zambia.

Contact us

Find us or contact us using any of the following details:

  • Address : National Museums Board Secretariat, Kwacha House, Cairo Road, P O Box 50491, Lusaka 10101, Zambia

  • Email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Phone : +260 211 220192
    Fax : +260 211 220204

Trending POSTS

Who's Online

We have 50 guests and no members online